UK Industrial Placement Programme
Programme Starts: Summer 2018
Applications: Open 23rd October 2017 and closes 12th January 2018
Salary: £17,000 per annum + competitive benefits package
About this programme:
Are you studying a 4-year sandwich course at University? Looking to spend a year in industry as part of your University course? Then look no further!
Our programme is designed to give you the opportunity to spend 12 months in one of our operations, learning about Logistics & Supply Chain. We have a number of opportunities spread across the UK. Wherever you are based, you will be a fundamental part of the on site team and get to experience first hand what it’s like working in DHL. And if you successfully complete your placement year with us, we will offer you a place on our Supply Chain & Logistics Graduate Programme after you graduate.
Our placements are based all over the country, and range from being a Team Leader in a warehouse developing your people management skills, working in the transport office as a Transport Planner, to working on a project to improve a process. All of our placements are hands-on, designed to develop your work related skills, and the opportunity to develop as a person.
As well as the challenging ‘on the job’ training you will get during your placement, you will also be supported by attending some management skills workshops, to develop your team work and leadership skills, together with communication and project management. You will also have the opportunity to work on a group social project, where you will have the chance to really make a difference to a community in which we work.
What type of person is suited for the role?
- This programme is for undergraduates studying a recognised sandwich degree at University – your industrial placement must be recognised or supported by your University
- A business-related, supply chain, logistics, or geography related degree would give you a head start, and you must be on track to achieving a 2:1 or above
- Someone who has a real passion and interest in wanting to work in the Supply Chain & Logistics industry
- Self-motivated and proactive – someone who wants to get stuck in and is willing to take on responsibility from day one
- Willing to relocate in the UK for the duration of the placement
- Must be willing to work shifts – including weekends
- Eligible to work and live unrestrictedly in the UK for the duration of the placement
- Holds a valid UK driving licence and has the means to get to work on a daily basis (public transport is not always readily available near our locations)
Chloe Wittering is currently on her industrial placement with us. To read her full interview click here.
Matt Kear has completed the industrial placement programme and is now in his first year on the Supply Chain & Logistics graduate programme. To watch his video on his experiences on the industrial placement and graduate programme click here.
David McNicholas has completed the industrial placement programme and the graduate programme, he is now a Project Manager for DHL. To read his full interview click here.